
Have you ever wanted something so bad, so bad that you follow it around like a lost puppy dog? Well I have. I am admitting it. I followed said thing for almost 20 minutes and several miles, into many uncharted neighborhoods. I had my eye on the prize the entire time. Let's just say I lost that prize in the blink of an eye.
The story begins at school. I met with the financial aid officer yesterday. She wants me to come back just a few days before orientation to finalize everything. Well, I have a bit of a deadline I am trying to reach here. I have been working with a state program on getting some tuition assistance. Like I have previously mentioned, I have to jump through hoops. Needless to say I needed to get a piece of mail out ASAP. So I decided since it was already 3:00 I would go up to the Kroger down the road and drop it in one of those fancy blue mailboxes, the one that you always think has multiple pick-ups, but never does. Yeah well the pick up for the one I chose was 2:00. On the box it listed last pick up was at the MAIN PO and the street name. HMMMM well this is not my side of town (since we moved in with family) and I have no clue where the post office is. So I decide I will drive around to all the supermarkets in search of this street and hopefully there will be a pick-up sometime that evening. Well as I am in search a mail truck pulls out next to me. OK this has to be a sign right?! So I think ok, it is getting close to quitting time and I am sure he is headed to the post office. So I start following him. I continue to follow him through what I would coin as "the not so good area" of town. Then another one came out of nowhere and was in front of him! I think JACKPOT!! I follow them a bit longer. Contemplating at every stoplight if I could jump out of the car and give them my mail and get back in my car quick enough. Before I got to play Chinese fire drill with myself one of them turned off. So I stayed true to my original mailman. I followed him for a few more miles then I hear this load whistle and lights flashing. Yup I got caught by the train. Lucky mailman made it!
What's a girl to do now?! I decided to backtrack a bit to find the other mail truck down the road. Luckily I found him pretty quick! He was driving pretty quick and kept taking what felt like unnecessary turns. At this point I started thinking to myself, maybe they take their trucks home with them at night like some police officers know I am loosing my mind right?! Have you ever lived down the street from a postman? Yeah, you wouldn't know, would you? As I am thinking this the guy starts driving really fast and starts taking weird turns and dodging trash cans, he then pulls into a driveway. Do what?! I am pretty sure he figured out I was following him and tried to deter me. Who knows! So I decide to pass him up, not wanting him to think that the letter I was going to hand him was laced with Anthrax. I dub him the paranoid mailman.
As I decide to just head home, since I forgot my phone and couldn't look the post office up, I see a white van catch my eye. I quickly turned right and slowly passed the van. It was a USPS van, but no carrier inside. I was in a neighborhood so I decided to go ahead and drive around and see if I could find him on foot. Just as I am about to give up another mail van appears and the carrier was shutting the door about to start delivering mail. I pulled up right beside him and asked if he wouldn't mind. Of course not, that is his job, right? He took it with a smile and put it in his cute little mailpouch. It was a match made in heaven.
The story begins at school. I met with the financial aid officer yesterday. She wants me to come back just a few days before orientation to finalize everything. Well, I have a bit of a deadline I am trying to reach here. I have been working with a state program on getting some tuition assistance. Like I have previously mentioned, I have to jump through hoops. Needless to say I needed to get a piece of mail out ASAP. So I decided since it was already 3:00 I would go up to the Kroger down the road and drop it in one of those fancy blue mailboxes, the one that you always think has multiple pick-ups, but never does. Yeah well the pick up for the one I chose was 2:00. On the box it listed last pick up was at the MAIN PO and the street name. HMMMM well this is not my side of town (since we moved in with family) and I have no clue where the post office is. So I decide I will drive around to all the supermarkets in search of this street and hopefully there will be a pick-up sometime that evening. Well as I am in search a mail truck pulls out next to me. OK this has to be a sign right?! So I think ok, it is getting close to quitting time and I am sure he is headed to the post office. So I start following him. I continue to follow him through what I would coin as "the not so good area" of town. Then another one came out of nowhere and was in front of him! I think JACKPOT!! I follow them a bit longer. Contemplating at every stoplight if I could jump out of the car and give them my mail and get back in my car quick enough. Before I got to play Chinese fire drill with myself one of them turned off. So I stayed true to my original mailman. I followed him for a few more miles then I hear this load whistle and lights flashing. Yup I got caught by the train. Lucky mailman made it!
What's a girl to do now?! I decided to backtrack a bit to find the other mail truck down the road. Luckily I found him pretty quick! He was driving pretty quick and kept taking what felt like unnecessary turns. At this point I started thinking to myself, maybe they take their trucks home with them at night like some police officers know I am loosing my mind right?! Have you ever lived down the street from a postman? Yeah, you wouldn't know, would you? As I am thinking this the guy starts driving really fast and starts taking weird turns and dodging trash cans, he then pulls into a driveway. Do what?! I am pretty sure he figured out I was following him and tried to deter me. Who knows! So I decide to pass him up, not wanting him to think that the letter I was going to hand him was laced with Anthrax. I dub him the paranoid mailman.
As I decide to just head home, since I forgot my phone and couldn't look the post office up, I see a white van catch my eye. I quickly turned right and slowly passed the van. It was a USPS van, but no carrier inside. I was in a neighborhood so I decided to go ahead and drive around and see if I could find him on foot. Just as I am about to give up another mail van appears and the carrier was shutting the door about to start delivering mail. I pulled up right beside him and asked if he wouldn't mind. Of course not, that is his job, right? He took it with a smile and put it in his cute little mailpouch. It was a match made in heaven.


2 comments:
That is too funny! I am glad you got your letter out on time! :)
hahah!
Post a Comment