Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Roughin it







Shay and I have been wanting to go on a hike to the Red River Gorge as soon as we heard about it last year. We joined up with a local hiking group and there are about 20 of us going this weekend on an overnighter. We are so excited to view the natural bridges of KY http://www.redrivergorge.com/
Of course we needed gear. We were lucky enough to group up with 2 others to combine cooking stuff and borrow some sleeping pads and a pot from a new friend but of course we needed our trinity-packs, bags, and tent. We were so lucky to find good quality gear that was pretty inexpensive and I can use it all on the AT. We made sure it was light enough. We put everything in my pack last night, and I weigh in at 18 lbs with 1 Nalgene full. I am striving to stay under 25 with food. I know I can do it. Shay put my pack on and got all strapped in and we went walking around the neighborhood. Surprisingly she didn't complain once. She actually said it felt pretty good. Of course her pack will not nearly be as heavy. I am hoping the hike won't be too difficult since everyone seems to think it will be because all of the trees still down from the ice storm. Of course we will let you all know how it goes.
Nick

No comments: