Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Let's Get It Started- Day 1 12.12.12

     The day is finally here!  The one I have been excitedly dreading.  If you can ever excitedly dread something.  12.12.12.  Day one of our hair challenge.  I was so nervous going to bed last night wondering what I would do with  my hair today.  I am pleased with the result, for the most part. 
 
     A braided back pony.  
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
I have what Tyra calls a "5 finger" forehead, which I hate.  I always like it covered with some form of hair, even if it's just long, side-swept bangs.  I know that the only way to get my hair to look good (in my opinion) is to blow my bangs  dry.  Since that is no longer an option, I am stuck braiding, pinning, or pulling them back.  Dislike.  Have you ever heard that saying that after you turn a certain age you either need bangs or botox?  My husband won't let me get botox so it's bangs for this gal.  This may be the hardest part of the challenge.  Having to look at my forehead all day....and it's wrinkles.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Not a fan of my profile either, but...Anyway....
 
Here is the back.
 
 



     Here is a quick overview of what I did.  I will probably make a tutorial or two, but I did this at 5am so bad cell phone photos and a step by step is all you are getting today, folks! 

     I started with damp hair last night and rolled it in extra large sponge curlers  vertically instead of horizontally to get a more spiral effect with the curls.  It (mostly) dried over night and I was left with a big, huge, tangled mess of ugliness.  I would never have left that down.  But, it was a sweet foundation for an updo.  Lots of volume and texture, which makes it much easier to manipulate the hair.  With no hairspray it gives the hair a little extra grip, so it won't fall out of the style. 

You will need: brush, fine tooth comb, bobby pins, at least 2 clear elastics and a duck bill comb or claw clip (I like duck bill clips better, because they don't leave indentions in your hair like claws can) and some hair spray to finish (not for me, sadly)

1. Section off your hair in two halves like you are making pigtails.
2. Decide which side you want braided.  The side you aren't going to braid, pull it back with a duckbill clip to get it out of the way.
3. French braid the side you chose down the side of your head to the nape of your neck and tie off with a clear elastic.  Note: while braiding you want to slowly work the braid down the head, but also slightly towards the middle of the head.  See where my braid ends in the back?  Good spot.  If you end it more to the side you will need to do a side pony or you will have a big bald spot showing.
4) Using only your fingers, gently pull back the rest of your hair and gather the rest of the braided section into one, low pony.  If you use a brush, you will lose a ton of volume.  I like a messy look.  However, a slick look works, too.  Just make sure to not have one side slicked back and one side voluminous or you will look cray cray. (Yes, I just did that)
5) I pulled out some pieces to give the look of teasing, but you can certainly tease this before hand, for a nice "bump" effect at the crown.
6) Lastly, I took a small piece of hair from the back of my pony and brought it around to cover the clear elastic and secured it under the elastic with a bobby pin.  I think this gives it a cleaner, more impressive look, but it's optional, of course.

Finish with hairspray!  I used no product and it is almost the end of the day and every strand is still in place.  That almost never happens.  Then again, I have never not used hairspray. 

I got compliments on my hair, and everyone said it looked so cute they forgot I was doing the challenge.  Not too bad for the first day.  Only 364 more to go!

~Bobbie

No comments: