Monday, October 4, 2010

10 days in the making

Past 10 days have went a little something like this...


Lots of feeding. We had a few days of cluster feeds and then she started spacing them out a bit. Past few nights she has slept 3+ hours...one night even sleeping 5. I took advantage of it & payed for it with engorgement the next morning!! Generally if she isn't fussy I will still feed her every 2 hours & have now started setting the alarm at night for every 4, just n case she doesn't wake. My nipples were really sore & cracked & even bleeding but things are looking MUCH better!! YAY!! They are still pretty sore but I think the problem started when I put on Lillypads (silicone pads) to help with the leaks and they aren't so breathable & with all the leaking...yeah well bad idea! Talked to the LC about them and she said they were great for later on...when leaks weren't as big of an issue. I am looking forward to that day!! I did go to Motherhood today to get a good nursing bra. I swear I will invent one with something to tell you which boob's turn it is!!! ;O)

Met with the lactation consultant last Monday...Love her!! She is great. I have been using a nipple shield since birth since my nipples won't stay hard. Yes, I know there are disadvantages & what not but at least the kid is getting to eat ;O) I am hoping to be able to wean her eventually. The LC didn't make me feel bad about it, she supports it. She was down from 8.9 lbs at birth to 8.2 lbs at discharge from hospital & then on Monday she was 8.06. We had another weigh in on Thursday and she was down to 8 even, however after I fed her & we weighed her she was 8.25 so the LC wasn't too worried. She said I could pump & supplement if I felt the need. She has been doing pretty well so I haven't done that. Saturday morning she woke up with lots of discharge from her right eye and we took her to the doc who said it was an infection & gave her some cream. It has pretty much cleared up, thankfully!!!! And on another note at that appt she was up to 8.5 in weight!! So I am thinking at her 2 week checkup she may be pretty close to birth weight!

Postpartum wise....Things were a bit rough the first week. The past few days I have been feeling better. I am sure Ibuprofen every 4 hrs is helping. I had a 3rd degree tear and things have been a bit rough with that!! I have been freezing!! I am a cold natured person and with the cooler weather I feel like I need to bundle for a blizzard when leaving the house. In the house I am in warm clothes & under a blanket!! UGH. So annoying!! I have been waking up in a cold sweat as well and it is pretty miserable!!! I thought for sure I had a fever...nope...just hormones!!! On a positive note I am 3 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight!!!! Now if only I could fit into my jeans!!!

Nick's parents are in town visiting this week & that has been nice. I have been able to get more sleep & have some help!! I am so glad they have had a chance to spend time with Briggsley since they won't get to see her as often as we would all like, living in another state. Seems like we will have visitors till the ned of the month pretty much ;O) And then we will be making a trip to VA to visit the family as well!!! I am not looking forward to Nick going back to work this weekend, but I sure am glad he is off during the days!!!!

We are so in love with our little girl!! All the fussing, sore nipples, engorgement, & dirty poo diapers(I could go on & on) are OH SO WORHT IT!!!



Photobucket

3 comments:

Dana said...

I hear you about inventing a bra that tells you which side it is for feeding! I can hardly remember

Caroline O. said...

Have you seen the Itzbeen timer? I used that all the time during the first 2 months or so! Loved it. I you don't have it, let me know!

All of that sound Oooohhhhh sooo familar!

Kim said...

I'd buy that bra! I wear a hairband on my wrist - and switch it after each feeding so it'a always on the wrist for the side I last fed Colby on. But it would be nice not to have to wear that! Now I can almost tell by doing the "feel test" (which one feels more full)... but sometimes I'm not quite sure!