
*Google. The first stop shop for as much information as you can get your hands on. We typed in pediatrician plus our zip code and a long list of providers appeared. We chose the ones within a reasonable driving distance to our home and started our list.
*Mommies Groups. (What did people do before technology?) I posted a post asking for pediatric recommendations in our area. I got a huge response from the local moms on and saw some of the same names pop up over and over again. This narrowed our Google list down considerably. I will definitely not choose a place solely based on recommendations. I did this with my obstetrician and I think she is great however I really didn't do much research before hand and I regret that.
*Specific websites. I checked each practices' website for information (if availalbe) Some of the sites had Mommy Stork programs where they invited groups of expectant parents in to visit the practice, meet doctors, and ask questions. We signed up for a few.
*Telephone. It was time to move to actual conversation. Most offices acted like it was incredibly normal and natural for me to want to visit before the birth of my baby. At others it seemed to be a more unusual request. I managed to set up appointments with three practices that were within close proximity to our home, polite on the phone, and recommended by friends.
* Back to the internet. This time to research questions that I need to ask myself about each practice/doctor:
1. Do you accept my health insurance plan?
2. What are the fees and co-pays for office visits? (If different than insurance)
3. What are your hospital affiliations?
4. What are the office hours?
5.How soon after deliver will the baby be seen by you?
6. Who handles emergencies during nights/weekends/holidays?
7. Do you talk to parents over the phone or via email?
8. How many other pediatricians are in the practice?
9. Do the other in-practice pediatricians accept my health insurance?
10. Board-certified pediatricians?
11. How many years have you been in practice?
12. What are your professional affiliations?
13. What are your feelings regarding: breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding, sleep solutions, antibiotics, immunizations and vaccines, cloth diapering, and making baby foods?
14. What is your well-baby visit schedule like? How frequently would we be coming in for check-ups?
We asked ourselves these Qs after meeting:
1. Is the office conveniently located for you?
2. Did I get a good vibe from office and staff?
3. Did the doctor listen thoughtfully to your questions?
4. How willingly and thoroughly did the doctor answer questions?
5. What was his attitude when he answered them?
6. Do you feel comfortable with the doctor’s specific child-rearing philosophy?
7. Did you feel that you could freely ask questions?
8. Did the doctor appear knowledgeable and current with his information and advice?
9. Would you feel comfortable bringing your baby to this person for care?
10. Would you feel confident having this doctor handle an emergency with your child?
I made a lot of phone calls to offices and managed to weed them out based on phone conversations and the manners of the nurses or hours or whatever just rubbed me the wrong way,
The visits went very well. Here's how the two offices stacked up:
Office 1 Impressions: (Had great recommendations from internet sources, very close location, website)
* Met all doctors & was given tour by all of them
* Clean and organized.
* Separate sick & well waiting areas
* Evening & weekend hours
* Can call 24 hours for any question & linked to Kosair
* Doctors were friendly & down-to-earth
* Not as flexible on vaccination schedule as we would like but willing to discuss
* Pro-Breastfeeding w/ 3 LCs on site
* Dr who specizalies in alternative medicine
*Larger more mainstream practice
Office 2 Impressions: (Good recommendations, further away, no website)
* Separate sick & well waiting areas
* Smaller waiting rooms
* Clean
* Tour by office personell
* Evening & weekend hours
* Didn't meet any doctor's
* Flexible on vaccination schedule ~must be fully vaccinated by age 2
* No stitches/minor injuries in-house
* No extended hours
* Vaccinations set aside for non-insured patients
* Can call 24 hours for any question & linked to childrens acute care
We have decideed to go with practice number one! I am excited about the Doc who [ractives some alternative medicine as well as the fact it is so close. It seems like a 1 stop shop w/ the lactation consultants there as well..Wish us luck!

♥
♥


1 comment:
i am glad you commented on my blog, because it lead me to yours. Your baby is due one day before my birthday :) Keep in touch!!
Post a Comment