Tuesday, November 25, 2008

An extra in Grey's!

Feeling the need to blog about this. A couple posts back I mentioned I had to have a biopsy done last Thursday. I was a total wreck the days leading up to the operation. Thankfully Nick was there to help me through it all.
Thursday morning we woke up at 5 am and headed to the Hospital. Now let me say, I have never ever been admitted into the hospital. Never been under anesthesia. I was scared. We signed in and I sat there in pain, waiting. Luckily I had signed all the paperwork when I did my pre-op testing on Tuesday. So check in was pretty painless. They called my name, still weird to hear Shaylynn Grant. I had to leave Nick behind, get weighed, pee in a cup, get naked, figure out how to put on that weird gown & tie it...all by myself. Then I got my IV..I was scared to death! I wanted nothing more than to have Nick there to hold my hand. Looking back none of it seems as bad as I had pictured in my head. I guess nothing is as scary as the unknown. Finally they called Nick back and he sat there with me while all these doctors, nurses, & anesthesiologists came in & introduced themselves. Before I knew it the nurse came in & told me that she was going to give me some stuff that would help me relax and then something to help w/ the post-op nausea. I started freaking & crying after she left the room. It felt weird in my upper abdomen, like really tight and just a funny feeling. Nick was able to calm me down...I think or maybe it was the meds kicking in, but I started to feel pretty sleepy. They came back in & wheeled me out of the room. I imagined me freaking out, even though you never see it go down like that on TV. Everyone is always so calm...now I know why, they drug you up!! Wow I just looked down at my hand and noticed the massive bruise from my IV, how am I just now seeing this!?! Ok back to the story. They wheeled me into the operating room which was not as cold as I expected...and had me slide from my bed onto it the nurse said now you have to warm another bed, here take some deep breaths for me, put the oxygen mask over me mouth and a like 30 seconds later said ok now night night. DO WHAT?!?! Next thing I knew I had this really sweet nurse in my face asking how I was feeling, now. HELLO???? My answer to that was "not good." She said well you said your pain level was an 9 where is it now?..when did I say that?? I thought I had just woke up-haha?! I said still about an 8! She gave me some more pain meds & got me some ice and I sat there for a while. Then I realized I had to go to the bathroom. Now what the heck am I going to do?! I am hooked up to all this stuff.. when I told Linda the nurse she pulled out the bedpan. Man I should have researched how to use one of those on the Internet...not to mention I was all drugged up, but I admit I didn't care I had to just go!! She...asked about my pain again I said 7...a while later...I said about a 5. She gave me some more...I was getting pretty sleepy & the next thing I knew the nurse was yelling at me to breath?! Do what? I looked at my monitor & my respiratory rate was 9...most of the time I was laying there it was 16. Then I freaked & thought maybe I have sleep apnea and was scared to sleep. Once she got my pain to about a 2 they wheeled me down & I was able to see Nick, change back into my clothes & get a free ride out of the Hospital in a wheelchair!

Once we were home I was out. I stayed out for quite some time. The pain meds wore off eventually & I was not a happy camper. They put a tube down my throat while I was in the operating room and the pain from that was just as bad as my tongue. It was hard to eat anything at all except pudding. Mashed potatoes were too thick, soup, was too hot...grrr. We figured out Kraft Mac&Cheese was good the next day since it took minimal chewing & is pretty good ad sliding down the throat. I was in pain all weekend...and I still am today. Every day is getting better. I am so thankful for all the people calling to check on me. Gayenelle & Chuck even sent flowers & a card!!
The doctors office called yesterday to see if I could come in this afternoon to go over my results. I will keep everyone posted.

XOXO

No comments: